Fri, Feb 20, 2026

CMP Signals New Rate Increase Filing, Formal Proposal Expected in April

CMP Signals New Rate Increase Filing, Formal Proposal Expected in April

Central Maine Power (CMP) will again be seeking permission from the Maine Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to raise its rates. Despite this, the utility has indicated that ratepayers can expect to see their monthly bills decrease over the summer.

This move comes several months after the Maine PUC unanimously rejected the utility’s most recent request to increase costs, arguing that the proposal “misse[d] the mark,” noting that Mainers are facing mounting affordability challenges.

According to an Axios report from this past summer, Mainers saw the highest year-over-year increase in electricity costs nationwide between 2024 and 2025.

In just one year, from May 2024 to May 2025, Maine’s average residential energy costs increased by a staggering 36.3 percent.

Nationwide, there was an increase of just 6.5 percent during this same period.

[RELATED: Maine Has Highest 2024-2025 Energy Cost Increase With Staggering 36% Hike]

The notice of intent filed Tuesday by CMP indicates that the utility can be expected to submit its official request around April 16 for a rate change effective in May of next year.

CMP also indicated that they will “[seek] to directly address customer affordability by
establishing a stable rate plan for customers while the Commission establishes expectations for a [multi-year rate plan].”

Although CMP expresses an interest in requesting a multi-year rate plan, they explain that they need to wait to do so until the PUC provides additional and updated guidance for doing so.

In the meantime, CMP said that they will instead seek a “rate adjustment based on a
single‑year filing, with temporary rates for the undisputed portion of the adjustment” taking effect in July of this year.

“This approach allows CMP to obtain rate relief as a bridge to a multi-year plan, while the Commission’s guidance is being developed and implemented, protecting the Company’s credit metrics, and limiting the impact of the financial harm currently being experienced due to increased costs and extensive capital investments not currently recognized in the Company’s rates,” the utility wrote.

Under this plan, CMP expects ratepayers to see a decrease in their monthly bills this summer, due in large part to the lack of severe and costly storms in 2025 “on the heels of the three most devastating storm years in the Company’s history (2022-2024).”

According to CMP, “the reduction associated with [their] annual compliance filing will more than offset the impact” of the proposed temporary rates, resulting in lower monthly costs for ratepayers.

“CMP’s rate filing is premised around building a smarter, stronger, more resilient grid to serve its customers, reducing future storm costs, and supporting Maine’s clean energy transition,” the utility explained.

Click Here to Access CMP’s Full Intent to File

The Maine Department of Energy Resources (DOER) released a statement Thursday responding to CMP’s filing.

“Last year the PUC rejected CMP’s unprecedented rate request – a decision DOER successfully advocated for in order to uphold legislation the Governor signed to ensure utility investments are transparent and responsive to public input,” said Dan Burgess, Acting Commissioner of the Maine Department of Energy Resources.

“As costs stemming from the previous years’ historic storms are paid off, the prospect of lower electricity rates this summer is welcome news for Maine ratepayers,” Burgess continued. “DOER will closely review this new proposal and continue to prioritize affordable and reliable electricity for Maine people.”

Click Here to Read the DOER’s Full Statement

Any rate changes made by CMP will ultimately need to be approved by the Maine PUC before they could take effect and impact Maine ratepayers.

Related Articles

Image