Sat, Feb 21, 2026

Lorry gets stuck after falling into sinkhole it was sent to repair - as road is closed for more than a month

Lorry gets stuck after falling into sinkhole it was sent to repair - as road is closed for more than a month

A lorry fell into the sinkhole it was sent to repair in Scotland on Friday.

Contractors were sent to repair the sinkhole on Lamer Street, Dunbar, after it formed following damage to the sea wall which runs along the side of the road.

But their large HGV carrying tarmac became stuck in the hole, with pictures taken by a resident showing the grey Scania lorry leaning to its right side.

The lorry's front driver-side wheel appeared to be lodged in the hole. 

The resident, who asked not to be named, said there was a history of sinkholes after repeated damage to the sea wall.

'Another sinkhole appeared - the one they're repairing now,' they said.

'The lorry turned up this morning to put some tarmac on the street - this was the lorry containing the tarmac - and it fell in.'

The grey Scania lorry could be seen tilted to its right side on Lamer Street in Dunbar

The lorry had been carrying tarmac to repair a different sinkhole on the same road but became stuck

The road will remain closed until repairs are completed. Pictured: Road closures as the lorry was removed

The road will remain closed until repairs are completed. Pictured: Road closures as the lorry was removed

They said the lorry was left at 'quite a strange angle - probably worse than the photos make it look'.

'I thought maybe it had lost a wheel or had a big puncture - I thought there was no way it could be another sinkhole.'

According to the Government website, the lorry could weigh around 32,000kg but has now been removed, according to East Lothian Council.

It said the sinkhole was caused by damage to the sea wall and said the road would remain closed while repairs were done.

A spokesperson said repairs on the sinkhole had started 'soon after the breach took place' and were in their final stages when two further holes appeared on Friday morning.

They added the area had been 'made safe' and council officers would investigate further.

Related Articles

Image