OAN Staff Brooke Mallory
6:40 PM – Friday, February 20, 2026
In a stunning reversal, California Governor Gavin Newsom and state officials have agreed to enforce longstanding federal regulations requiring commercial drivers to demonstrate English-language proficiency, according to confirmation from the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday.
The requirement applies exclusively to commercial drivers who hold a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). It does not affect standard Class C licenses used for regular passenger vehicles, nor does it apply to the general public.
Drivers now subject to the rule include long-haul truck operators, bus drivers transporting passengers commercially, and delivery drivers operating vehicles that exceed federally defined weight thresholds.
The decision marks the end of a high-stakes standoff between the Newsom administration and Trump administration’s Transportation Secretary, Sean Duffy, who previously accused California of being the sole holdout in a nationwide safety crackdown.
For months, the Golden State had resisted the mandate, leading the federal government to withhold $40 million in motor carrier safety grants and threatening to freeze up to $160 million more in highway funding.
“California is the only state in the nation that refuses to ensure big rig drivers can read our road signs and communicate with law enforcement. This is a fundamental safety issue that impacts you and your family on America’s roads,” Duffy said in October, when he officially pulled California’s funding.
The dispute centered on 49 CFR § 391.11(b)(2), a federal regulation requiring commercial drivers to “read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public” and “understand highway traffic signs.”
While California argued its existing DMV testing was “sufficient,” federal auditors found that the state was not enforcing the rule during roadside inspections.
Secretary Duffy highlighted that out of 34,000 inspections in late 2025, California had issued only one violation for English proficiency — even while other states were pulling hundreds of drivers off the road for the same issue.
The pressure also intensified following several high-profile accidents, including a fatal crash in Florida involving a California-licensed driver who could not communicate with law enforcement.
WHY ON EARTH is it easier for a dangerous ILLEGAL TRUCKER to get a commercial driver’s license than an AMERICAN CITIZEN?
— Secretary Sean Duffy (@SecDuffy) February 20, 2026
We stopped this madness in its tracks under @POTUS 🛑
Our new rule restricts eligibility and ensures ONLY qualified drivers can operate big rigs.
America… pic.twitter.com/yh6jCekVDK
🚨🚨BIG ANNOUNCEMENT on new plans to secure our roads and crackdown on illegal truckers, including:
— Secretary Sean Duffy (@SecDuffy) February 20, 2026
🚛 REQUIRING English only tests
🚛MODERNIZING an ironclad registration system
🚛CRACKING DOWN on fraud
🚛 STRENGTHENING driver safety
American families deserve safe roads and… pic.twitter.com/RXvjPrB6yW
Under the new agreement, California will implement several immediate changes to align with the Trump administration’s “Safety First” initiative:
- Roadside enforcement: The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has begun placing drivers “out-of-service” if they fail to meet English proficiency standards during roadside stops.
- English-only testing: California will transition away from offering Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) tests in multiple languages. Previously, the state offered tests in 20 different languages.
- License revocations: The state has reportedly already pulled more than 600 drivers off the road and is working to resolve a separate dispute regarding 17,000 non-domiciled CDLs issued to foreign-born drivers with expired work authorizations.
“I shouldn’t have had to threaten to withhold millions in funding for California to come to their senses and enforce the law,” Duffy told The California Post. “For those who said we’re playing politics—our efforts have gotten real results for the American people.”
Newsom had previously dismissed the federal demands as “political theater,” citing California’s lower-than-average truck crash rates. However, with the DOT moving to permanently withdraw millions in funding for traffic safety and road maintenance, it appears the state’s position became increasingly untenable.
The DOT confirmed that as California demonstrates “active and consistent enforcement,” the withheld $40 million in Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP) funds may be restored.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
