Wed, Feb 18, 2026

Pima County Sheriff Releases Statement On Whether Family Members Are Possible Suspects In The Nancy Guthrie Investigation

Pima County Sheriff Releases Statement On Whether Family Members Are Possible Suspects In The Nancy Guthrie Investigation

Since the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, rumors have spread online regarding the possibility that the Guthrie family itself may be behind the kidnapping.

Users on X have claimed without evidence that the sister of Savannah Guthrie, Annie Guthrie, and her husband, Tommaso Cioni, may have been behind Nancy’s abduction.

The rumors came after it was reported that Tommaso Cioni dropped Nancy off at her home the night she went missing.

Now, the Pima County Sheriff’s Office has finally addressed those rumors.

In a press release, the Pima County Sheriff’s Office has cleared all members of the Guthrie family in the abduction of Nancy.

Fox 11 was the first to report on the Pima County Sheriff’s Office clearing Nancy Guthrie’s family:

Family members of Nancy Guthrie, including her children and their spouses, have been ruled out as suspects in her disappearance, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said Monday.

“To be clear…the Guthrie family – to include all siblings and spouses – has been cleared as possible suspects in this case. The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case,” the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said on Feb. 16.

The sheriff goes on to say the family members are victims.

“To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel. The Guthrie family are victims plain and simple…please, I’m begging you the media to honor your profession and report with some sense of compassion and professionalism,” Sheriff Nanos said.

Guthrie, 84, was last seen on Jan. 31 at her Catalina Foothills Tucson-area home. She didn’t arrive for church the next day and that’s when the authorities were notified.

Since then, blood droplets were found on her front porch where her Nest camera captured surveillance footage of a masked suspect. At one point, the suspect tried to cover up the lense with leaves.

Here’s the press release:

The press release comes just a day after The Daily Mail reported that Nanos has cleared no suspects, including the family of Guthrie:

But he said dealing with that may be why he’s sensitive to a lot of the early allegations and accusations online focusing on Tommaso Cioni, 50, who is married to Nancy Guthrie’s daughter, Annie.

‘People out there can get pretty ugly and mean and nasty and not have the facts,’ he said. ‘I tell my journalists, you guys need to be a little more responsible… because that’s just really nasty stuff.’

Nanos maintains that ‘nobody,’ has been cleared in the case, including workers at Guthrie’s home, the people who were recently the subject of two separate SWAT raids – and presumably family members.

‘I stay in touch with them, mostly Savannah. I’ve not been in touch with Tommaso or Annie too much,’ he added.

‘I have talked to them a little bit, but I know the investigators are in touch with them. But I’ve really told people, this is a lot of stress. If he [Tommaso Cioni] is guilty, if he’s the one who did it, and we’re able to prove that, then at that time jump on it but don’t come out of nowhere with this.

‘I understand the pundits are out there. They’re gonna say, well, he’s the last one to see her alive. We understand that stuff. But, my goodness, you’re putting a mark on somebody who could be completely innocent. And more important than that, he’s family.’

It’s also why, Nanos said, he will not specify who was with Nancy when she was driven home from Cioni and Annie Guthrie’s home after going to their house – which is about 10 minutes away – for dinner and a game night.

Here was Nanos on Friday:

What’s your take on Nancy Guthrie’s abduction investigation?

Let us know your thoughts below.

What’s your perspective?


Related Articles

Image

Download Our Mobile App

Image
Image