All Section

Tue, Aug 18, 2026

Obama-Appointed Judge Blocks Kash Patel’s Plan to Move FBI Headquarters to Reagan Building Instead of Building a New One — Hands Maryland Democrats a Major Victory

Obama-Appointed Judge Blocks Kash Patel’s Plan to Move FBI Headquarters to Reagan Building Instead of Building a New One — Hands Maryland Democrats a Major Victory

Credit: FBI Headquarters – J. Edgar Hoover Building / Ajay Suresh

Here we go again.

An Obama-appointed federal judge has blocked FBI Director Kash Patel's plan to move the bureau's headquarters into the existing Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C., a move Patel said would save American taxpayers billions of dollars.

U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang sided Monday with the Democrat-controlled state of Maryland and Prince George's County.

Those jurisdictions had been the leading location for a brand-new, multi-billion-dollar FBI campus in Greenbelt until Patel and the General Services Administration decided last year to keep the headquarters inside the District of Columbia at a fraction of the cost.

Chuang vacated the July 2025 selection of the Reagan Building, blocked any renovations or relocation there, and erased the reprogramming of $555 million in funds. He declared the decisions "not in accordance with law" and beyond the agencies' statutory authority.

The ruling effectively restores the path to the Biden-era Greenbelt site, even though has still not fully funded that massive new construction project.

The ruling does not explicitly order the FBI to begin building in Greenbelt. It does, however, destroy Patel's Reagan Building plan unless the administration wins on appeal or persuades Congress to change the law.

The FBI immediately fired back.

A bureau spokesperson accused the court of choosing to "impermissibly intervene for political reasons" and said the FBI would continue seeking the best available option for law enforcement.

Patel and the GSA announced the Reagan Building selection in July 2025 after nearly two decades of bureaucratic wrangling over a replacement for the deteriorating J. Edgar Hoover Building.

The Reagan complex is an existing, federally owned property located only a few blocks from the current headquarters. Administration officials argued that repurposing it would avoid billions in new construction expenses and more than $300 million in deferred maintenance at the Hoover Building.

But Maryland had thousands of jobs and an enormous economic windfall riding on the Greenbelt mega-project—and they immediately ran to federal court to keep it alive.

Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown celebrated Chuang's decision, claiming it cleared the path for the headquarters to return to Greenbelt.

"Congress made a promise," Brown said, according to Reuters. "The Trump administration tried to break it."

Of course, that "promise" could leave taxpayers responsible for a proposed headquarters that Patel said would cost nearly $5 billion and remain unfinished until 2035.

As The Gateway Pundit previously reported, Patel announced in May 2025 that the FBI would leave the unsafe Hoover Building while relocating approximately 1,500 Washington-area employees to field offices around the country. Patel had also previously proposed turning the notorious headquarters into a "Deep State museum."

later reported that Patel had finalized the Hoover Building's permanent closure and planned to move most headquarters personnel into the Reagan complex. Patel presented that decision as a long-overdue victory over decades of federal waste and bureaucratic incompetence.

Now Judge Chuang has slammed the brakes on the entire operation.

Ad block users: Some site features may not work correctly while an ad blocker is enabled, because they break scripts and content this website depends on. If you can't see comments below, for example, please disable your ad blocker.

 


Source link

Related Articles

Image