All Section

Fri, Aug 21, 2026

Daily Mail

Alaska trailrunner details petrifying attack by brown bear and reveals how she got the predator to leave her alone

Alaska trailrunner details petrifying attack by brown bear and reveals how she got the predator to leave her alone

A professional trail runner has described the terrifying moment she was attacked by a brown bear while running alone on a familiar trail in Alaska.

Klaire Rhodes was running on the Wolverine Bowl Trail near Anchorage's Prospect Heights trailhead on Thursday morning when she encountered the predator.

The North Face athlete managed to deploy her bear spray during the attack before escaping and making her way back to the trailhead on her own.

Rhodes was later taken to a hospital with a deep puncture wound to her left hip and claw and teeth marks across her body.

POLL OF THE DAY: Should companies allow Brits to 'work from home' while abroad?


A finance manager who moved to France despite bosses telling her she had to work from the UK tried to sue for unfair dismissal after she was sacked.

Iryna Malyk, who worked from home, was given 'express instruction' she would lose her job if she moved abroad because it would cause tax and legal issues. She still decided to relocate, saying she 'disagreed' with the rule – but was fired as a result.

Ms Malyk tried to sue Teleperformance Contact for unfair dismissal, arguing her role was 'fully remote'. But a tribunal threw out her claim, finding she had been required to 'work from her home in the UK'.

The case raises questions over whether companies in Britain should allow their staff to 'work from home' while abroad in the post-Covid era.

Now you can have your say on the topic in the Daily Mail's latest poll:

In yesterday's poll, Mail

US counter narcotics expert praises 'proud, dashing Irish cop' without whom cartel boss Daniel Kinahan might NEVER have been brought home to face justice

US counter narcotics expert praises 'proud, dashing Irish cop' without whom cartel boss Daniel Kinahan might NEVER have been brought home to face justice

The fate of the Kinahan cartel was sealed in the summer of 2021 when two men who never met before shook hands in one of the US Treasury Department's most opulent rooms.

Before the late Assistant Garda Commissioner John O'Driscoll walked through the door leading into the Grant Room in the Treasury building, the then Head of Global Targeting for Sanctions had never heard of the Kinahans.

And if sanctions were to be imposed, the quietly-spoken senior garda had to convince not only Greg Gatjanis but ultimately then President Joe Biden, that the Dublin crime lords posed a significant threat to the United States.

Recalling how the late Assistant Garda Commissioner convinced him the Kinahans were an American problem, Mr Gatjanis told the Irish Mail on Sunday: 'We were a very small office for having such an enormous mandate, and the reasons I explain that is we had to be very judicious about where we put our resources.

'We really had to make sure that every target we agreed to investigate was going to be a viable target.

'I asked a colleague "what's the connection [of the

The ultimate doggy paddle: Stunned fishermen find pooch swimming in the ocean

The ultimate doggy paddle: Stunned fishermen find pooch swimming in the ocean

A group of fishermen rescued a missing dog they found swimming on its own in the ocean.

The men were sailing near Cedros Island, Baja California, off the coast of Mexico in the early morning when they made the unusual discovery.

The 'completely lost' dog was not wearing a collar or harness and was paddling away from the beach about a mile from shore.

Stopping the boat, the captain encouraged the dog to come closer and pulled him aboard to safety.  

The exhausted animal relaxed on board and was given fresh water and food, before becoming the crew's 'unexpected fishing partner'.

A man on the boat who filmed the heartwarming rescue said: 'After fishing for half the day we came back to the dock and we're going to drop off the dog that we saved, then we're going to continue fishing.'

When they returned to land, someone at the dock recognised the pooch and reunited it with its owner.

The fishing group wrote in a post on Instagram: 'At 6:00 AM, while heading out for a day of fishing off Cedros Island, our captain spotted something

Mountainside Maine town being torn apart by FACEBOOK groups, as locals hurl deeply personal insults at one another

Mountainside Maine town being torn apart by FACEBOOK groups, as locals hurl deeply personal insults at one another

A tiny Maine town has descended into political turmoil after vicious Facebook feuds spilled into public meetings, drove officials from office and required police intervention.

Clifton, a community of just 877 people located 20 minutes east of Bangor, has become divided by personal attacks exchanged through rival local Facebook groups.

The online war has seen an elected official's mugshot, property deed and photographs of his family repeatedly published, according to the Bangor Daily News.

The bitter dispute has even led to harassment complaints and explosive confrontations at town meetings.

Meanwhile, Clifton is struggling with more than $2 million in debt, the firing of its town clerk and allegations that Select Board members have been meeting without one another.

The turmoil reached Maine's highest court after two misplaced absentee ballots determined the winner of a March Select Board election by a single vote.

Steve Armenia initially lost the race to Cynthia Grant, who received 114 votes to his 113.

But officials later discovered two unopened absentee ballots that had not been included in the count.

Moment muggers push woman, 90, with dementia to the ground before swiping her necklace and wedding ring

Moment muggers push woman, 90, with dementia to the ground before swiping her necklace and wedding ring

This is the horrendous moment when muggers shove a 90-year-old woman with dementia to the ground before stealing her necklace and wedding ring.

The incident happened right outside the pensioner's home on Morris Avenue in Newham, east London, on July 17, and left her with bruises on her face and cuts on her elbows.

The woman's daughter - who wishes to remain anonymous -  explained her mother has advanced dementia and needs to follow a particular routine every day to ease her condition.

Part of the routine is to walk to the shop in the morning and then sweep outside the house. It was at this point that the opportunistic thieves struck.

CCTV appears to show the woman being called to a car stopped on the street nearby.

The daughter said: 'What you can see on the footage is hands going in and out of the car and they take the chain off mum's neck. We're not sure how they get the ring off their finger.

'They sped off and pushed her to the ground and she was found on the curb by a neighbour - that's as far as we know.' 

Exiled dictator Bashar al-Assad's cousin will be executed in Syria as court issues death sentence for torture and crimes against humanity

Exiled dictator Bashar al-Assad's cousin will be executed in Syria as court issues death sentence for torture and crimes against humanity

Syrian court on Tuesday issued a death sentence to detainee Wassim al-Assad, a cousin of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad

Judge Fakhr al-Din al-Aryan said Wassim al-Assad was convicted of multiple murders and 'murder accompanied by torture and brutality... classified as crimes against humanity and war crimes', adding that 'he is therefore sentenced to death'.

Wassim al-Assad faced a range of charges, including setting up and leading paramilitary groups since 2011. 

He was also charged with taking part in military operations targeting civilians in Eastern Ghouta that resulted in the deaths of ordinary Syrian citizens. 

He is the first member of the al-Assad family to be sentenced in person. 

His sentence comes just a week after the brutal dictator was himself sentenced in absentia to death for crimes against humanity. 

Bashar al-Assad and his brother Maher al-Assad were both sentenced in absentia as they live in exile in Russia. 

Judge Fakhr al-Din al-Aryan, who also oversaw the dictator's case, said Bashar 'used state agencies to commit war crimes and crimes against humanity.'  

A Syrian                <div class=

Now even Labour's eco-millionaire donor Dale Vince backs North Sea oil and gas as he tells Andy Burnham approving Rosebank and Jackdaw fields can 'save money for the country'

Now even Labour's eco-millionaire donor Dale Vince backs North Sea oil and gas as he tells Andy Burnham approving Rosebank and Jackdaw fields can 'save money for the country'

Labour's eco-millionaire donor Dale Vince has told Andy Burnham that approving new oil and gas drilling in the North Sea can 'save money for the country'.

The green energy tycoon revealed he has dropped his opposition to the Rosebank and Jackdaw fields and said there is 'a way that we can make sense of this North Sea puzzle'.

Explaining his surprise U-turn, Mr Vince said that if new drilling was combined with 'price control' on wholesale energy then this would help bring bills down.

Proposals for the Rosebank and Jackdaw fields are now in the hands of ministers following the closure of consultations on the two projects.

Mr Burnham is under increasing pressure – including from US President Donald Trump – to ease Labour's ban on new drilling and give the go-ahead to both fields.

Rosebank is the UK's largest remaining untapped oil field and lies about 80 miles west of Shetland.

Meanwhile there have been warnings of fuel shortages this winter without the approval of the Jackdaw gas field, which is 150 miles

Hijabs fly as Somali women have vicious cat fight inside Target store

Hijabs fly as Somali women have vicious cat fight inside Target store

Shocking video captured a vicious fight that sent two women's hijabs flying off inside a Target store.

Footage of the scrap has been heavily circulating online, racking up tens of thousands of views and comments across several uploads.

The two women, who appeared to be wearing traditional Muslim attire, could be heard shrieking as their hijabs lay on the ground while they tried to rip out each other's hair.

Several bystanders attempted to break up the brawl, except for a security guard who appeared to wait a little too long before stepping in.

The asset protection associate, wearing a high-visibility green jacket, stood by watching as the women, one in a navy blue dress and the other in a black gown, rolled around striking one another in the face.

At one point, the woman in navy blue ended up on top of the other woman as she lay on the white-tiled walkway of the Target store.

While on top, the brawler threw several hammer fists while screaming: 'I'll spit on you h**, I'll spit on this b****.'

Towards the end of the footage, a man finally stepped in to separate the women, grabbing the wrists of the

Keir Starmer's sacking of top civil servant cost taxpayers £500,000 in record payout

Keir Starmer's sacking of top civil servant cost taxpayers £500,000 in record payout

Keir Starmer's decision to sack the top civil servant he hired only 14 months earlier cost taxpayers £500,000, it has emerged.

Chris Wormald was forced out as cabinet secretary in February as the then-prime minister rebuilt his No10 team in a desperate bid to save his premiership.

His departure made him the shortest-serving cabinet secretary in history and left taxpayers to pick up the bill for a hefty payout.

It had initially been suggested that Sir Chris had been handed a £260,000 payout as part of an exit package.

But several insiders briefed on the settlement have now told the Financial Times it topped £500,000, which would make it a record payout.

The severance payment had to be personally signed off by Sir Keir after Cat Little, the top official at the Cabinet Office, said she needed a 'ministerial direction' on the sum.

In a letter to Sir Keir from February, she said: 'The proposed award is greater than what Sir Chris Wormald would be contractually entitled to.

'However, I am informed that a settlement of this level is necessary given that this is a

Search launched for missing soldier involved in the Queen's funeral who disappeared after a bar fight and 'car ramming' in village - as police arrest two men

Search launched for missing soldier involved in the Queen's funeral who disappeared after a bar fight and 'car ramming' in village - as police arrest two men

A search has been launched for a young soldier who disappeared after a bar fight and an alleged car ramming incident which left two people seriously injured. 

Liam Potts, 22, a soldier with the Coldstream Guards who had a ceremonial role in Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in 2022, vanished at around 12.20am on Saturday morning following a series of incidents in the village of Wylam, Northumberland.

Locals said a disturbance broke out at a pub close to the River Tyne, minutes before two people were struck by a vehicle on Wylam Bridge.  

Liam was not one of those struck by the car, nor was he in the vehicle, but he was seen walking away in the aftermath of the collision. 

Police said they understand he entered the water, but it remains unknown whether he managed to make it out again. 

Northumbria Police received a report later on Saturday afternoon concerning the welfare of Liam. He was last spotted heading towards the centre of Wylam village from Wylam Bridge in the early hours. 

A man and woman - each aged in their 20s - both sustained serious but non-life threatening injuries when struck by

Image