British tourists spotted a deserted sinking ship adrift off the French coast, sparking a rescue mission for a missing sailor.
Passengers on a ferry were travelling from Portsmouth to Bilbao, Spain when they noticed the sailboat partially submerged off the Ile d'Yeu in France.
Search operations were launched on Monday and into today to find the missing man who was aboard the boat.
Authorities say he was of French nationality.
After a tourist on the ferry raised an alarm, the ship diverted its journey to send a life boat with three rescuers.
But the emergency team found no signs of life on board or around the sailboat.
The maritime prefecture said no beacon was activated on board either, which would have sent an emergency signal carrying the exact location coordinates to international rescue satellites.
A helicopter and a maritime surveillance aircraft were deployed to search for 'the potential occupants of a 13-metre sailing yacht adrift in the relatively calm seas', the maritime prefecture said.
This is the elderly woman who died in a house fire which saw another woman arrested on suspicion of murder.
Sylvia Townsend, 94, was named locally by neighbours in Hardwicke, near Gloucester, who described firefighters' desperate attempts to resuscitate the pensioner after she was carried out of her burning bungalow on a blanket.
It is believed the widow, a mother-of-two, lived with her daughter Laura, 63, at the modest property but the younger woman is thought to have escaped the blaze.
Gloucestershire Police said officers were called to the address in Hardwicke at 4am on Sunday.
Emergency services searched the house and found the elderly occupant unconscious. Ambulance crews performed CPR but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
A neighbour who was woken by his pet dog barking told the Daily Mail fire engines were already at the scene when he saw smoke and flames coming from the front windows of the property after they blew out.
He said: 'A young man had already called 999 before me and we saw firefighters carry Sylvia out on a fire blanket.
'Each firefighter was holding a corner of the blanket and then they carried out CPR. They worked on
President Donald Trump has revealed that the US is pivoting to a more 'low-key' approach in the conflict with Iran.
The president suggested that he will be shifting away from military strikes and focusing on applying economic pressure.
'We are low-keying it. We are only semi-negotiating with them,' he told Axios on Sunday. 'We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact they have no money.'
He insisted that Iran is in 'very bad shape' and has no money to pay its troops, a situation he said is being exacerbated by the US' naval blockade.
'It will work out. It always works out. It's like a chess game,' he added.
It came a day after details emerged on the potential deal between Iran and Oman on managing the Strait of Hormuz.
The Oman agreement, which was viewed as a pending done deal until Tehran issued a list of demands on Saturday, would have given Iran partial control of traffic
A mega-dinghy with 230 migrants on board reached Britain overnight.
It is the largest number ever recorded in one small boat, with the previous record of 165 being set just 17 days earlier.
The confirmed 230 arrivals is more than the typical capacity of a Boeing 737 jet.
People traffickers are currently thought to charge around £2,000 per head for illegal passage to Britain. With about £10,000 in assumed costs for the trip, this single dinghy could have made them a staggering £450,000 profit.
Their new mega-dinghies are 'floating deathtraps' and at 42ft are longer than a double-decker bus
It comes after a Home Office source insisted on Friday that Labour's plan to tackle the Channel crisis was 'beginning to bear fruit'.
The overnight arrivals mean more than 900 migrants reached Britain over the weekend.
The dinghy, pictured as it left France, came into Dover in the early hours
Mourners have gathered for the funeral of a British illegal immigrant who was shot dead in the US after allegedly trying to con a pensioner for construction work.
Traveller Salis Hanrahan, 20, was allegedly gunned down at the home of retired firefighter George Barr, 75, in Philadelphia on July 8.
He was reportedly working on Barr's house as part of a construction team in the days before his death.
Local reports suggest he was shot after trying to charge the Vietnam War veteran £51,800 for repairs on the £190,000 property.
Mr Hanrahan had entered the US illegally after being denied a visa because government officials determined that he was affiliated with the 'The Travelling Conman Fraud Group'.
Members of the organised crime gang, as it has been designated by the FBI, are known for overcharging victims for building work that they have failed to complete.
Mr Hanrahan collapsed on the pavement outside Barr's home in the Roxborough area of the city after being shot in the chest. He later died from his wounds in hospital.
Hundreds of mourners gathered in his memory today in Hayes, west London, with the
A missing California mother of seven has been found dead inside the garage of her ex-boyfriend's home, her family said.
Tatyana McIntyre, 30, who also uses the name Alison Riley, was found dead at the Fresno property on Wednesday after she disappeared on Tuesday.
Jeffrey Vernon Michaels, the father of two of her children, was booked last week on a murder charge following the discovery of her body.
McIntyre's mother, Liberty, has since spoken with Fox26, claiming that Michaels has a history of domestic violence and allegedly choked her daughter.
She told the outlet that her body was found inside the garage of the home, adding that she spoke with Michaels after her disappearance before he went 'offline.'
'I spoke to him right after she came up missing. I asked him, "Where is my daughter, Jeff?" and he went totally offline. We lost contact with him.'
Describing her late daughter, she said. 'She was so bubbly, she was fun, she enjoyed life. I miss waking up to texts from her, talking to me about her day.'
According to Liberty, her
Independent senator Lidia Thorpe has clashed with a former CEO during a federal parliamentary inquiry into racism, challenging him on whether he accepted he was living on 'stolen land' or if he 'paid the rent'.
Peter Balan, who this year received an Order of Australia for 'service to tertiary education and to the community of South Australia', fronted the Joint Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs in Brisbane on July 28.
The former University of South Australia academic and CEO of manufacturing company Tyronsea Plastics, made a submission to the parliamentary inquiry, which is examining racism, hate and violence experienced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Australia.
Balan wrote to the committee that he hoped to see 'Aboriginal people would enjoy life as other Australian citizens' and argued for scrapping race-based programs, including ending Welcome to Country ceremonies.
The tense exchange began when Thorpe pressed Balan to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the First Peoples of Australia.
'I've asked you a question. Do you acknowledge that we are the First Peoples of this
Donald Trump's strategy to defeat Iran is facing more roadblocks as the US weapons stockpile and cash to fund the military operation runs dry.
Further complicating the path to peace, Tehran is refusing to reopen the Strait of Hormuz until Washington pays war reparations, lifts sanctions, and ends its naval blockade.
Meanwhile, War Secretary Pete Hegseth has failed to sell skeptical senators on Trump's record $1.5 trillion defense budget. The chamber left town for its five-week summer recess without advancing it, or the separate war funding the Pentagon says it urgently needs.
It comes as the Pentagon presses defense contractors to resupply munitions and other critical stockpiles depleted by Trump's war with Iran.
The President suggested over the weekend that he will shift away from military strikes and focus on applying economic pressure.
'We are low-keying it. We are only semi-negotiating with them,' he told Axios on Sunday. 'We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact they have no money.'
Trump's comments came a day after details emerged on
This is the moment a British travel influencer is shot by gunmen who tried to stop his vehicle during a terrifying road trip through Ethiopia.
Charles Wright was travelling alone through the African country when armed militia attempted to stop his car before opening fire on him.
Not realising he had a bullet in his heel, Mr Wright continued his trip, believing the pain in his foot had come from a football injury.
Incredibly, just days later, Mr Wright, from Buxton, Derbyshire, was targeted again after missing a mandatory customs turn-off, he says.
The 40-year-old claimed armed police opened fire on him, leaving two bullet holes in his car.
After being treated in hospital and being kept by an armed guard for seven days, he finally managed to leave Ethiopia.
Video footage showed both times Mr Wright was targeted while driving through the African country.
Charles Wright, 40, was forced to duck his head after he came under fire while driving through Ethiopia
Six people have been arrested on suspicion of murdering a 23-year-old woman in north London.
Four women and two men were taken into custody after police and paramedics discovered the alleged victim unresponsive at a residential address on Bollinder Place in Islington on Thursday.
She was pronounced dead after emergency services attended the scene following calls at 9.33am about concerns for her welfare.
Police have now launched a murder investigation as they work to identify the 23-year-old and inform her next-of-kin.
Four women – aged 20, 21, 23 and 26 – and two men – aged 21 and 24 – were arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder. They have all been released on bail.
On Monday afternoon, there were two forensics vans on Bollinder Place, and a police officer was seen walking out of Valencia Tower.
One resident said her housemate saw water on the floor of the building and a man in handcuffs coming out of the lifts.
Michelle You, 30, who has lived in the area for more than two years, said: 'My housemate said she saw a guy in handcuffs in the lift and she
A Florida woman lost her right arm after surviving an alligator attack while swimming.
The victim, who has yet to be identified, was with her family in the Silver River on Saturday when the 9ft 8in reptile struck, dragging her underwater.
She fought back with a paddle, desperately trying to fend off the predator, but it bit her arm. A heroic bystander then rushed to her aid, helping save her life.
Good Samaritan John Gamache and his father were eating lunch on their boat nearby when they heard the attack unfold.
Gamache spotted the approaching reptile in the crystal-clear spring water and sped his boat toward the group.
'I looked just upriver from us a couple hundred feet and saw an alligator head way above the water and going full speed towards the swimmers,' Gamache said.
By the time he reached the victim, the alligator had let go, while the sound of the boat sent the predator fleeing.
The injured woman was clinging to a paddleboard when the boaters arrived.
THE proportion of voters who think immigration has been 'mostly bad' for the UK has jumped by nearly a third amid ministers' failure to stop the boats.
Just one in five voters said they thought migration has been 'mostly good' for the country.
Attitudes have even hardened among people who voted to remain in the European Union in the 2016 referendum.
Among these voters, the number who said migration had been bad for the country has risen from 12 to 22 per cent.
More than 200,000 small boat migrants have arrived in the UK inn recent years, hardening attitudes towards immigration, the YouGov poll suggests
The YouGov survey, for The Times newspaper, also asked voters which
