All Section

Mon, Aug 17, 2026

A - E

Ronald-NO! Thousands of CR7 fans mob bemused wedding couple wrongly believing they are the famous footballer and his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez

Ronald-NO! Thousands of CR7 fans mob bemused wedding couple wrongly believing they are the famous footballer and his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez

The wedding plans of Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez remained a mystery today after their rumoured marriage ceremony in a Madeira cathedral turned out to be for another couple.

The 41-year-old legendary Portuguese footballer and his model fiancée Georgina, 32, had been heavily tipped to be due to tie the knot in a ceremony at the Roman Catholic cathedral in Funchal, the capital of the island where he was born and grew up.

But as a crowd of more than 2,000 people gathered to watch the nuptials and film the expected celebrity guests on their mobile phones, it quickly became apparent that the couple were not getting married there at all.

The ceremony turned out to be for an entirely unconnected Portuguese couple from Madeira called Fabio Ramos and Fatima Nicole Cunha Teixeira who live in France and had returned to the island to get married.

Fans of Cristiano including many wearing number 7 football shirts bearing his name began flocking to the square outside the Cathedral amid a swirl of suggestions on social media that the superstar was getting married at the 15th century venue.

Friends

Travelodge guest wakes up with more than 100 bed bug bites after one night in the hotel

Travelodge guest wakes up with more than 100 bed bug bites after one night in the hotel

A Travelodge guest woke up with more than 100 bed bug bites after one night in its Cambridge hotel.

Hannah Stephenson, 31, suffered the bites after staying in the city's Travelodge on July 26, waking up the next day with itchy red lumps across her body and blood spots on the bedding.

Ms Stephenson, from Bassingbourn, South Cambridgeshire, had been out with friends in the city and booked a one-night stay at the Newmarket Road hotel to save money rather than hire a taxi to travel home.

But she woke the next morning to a 'horrible realisation' that she had been bitten more than 100 times by bed bugs.

Ms Stephenson said she had a 'lovely wholesome time' of 'sightseeing and pubs' which had been 'tarnished by these bed bug bites'.

'It wasn't until I saw the blood and the bugs that I realised what had happened,' she said.

'I woke up feeling itchy and I started to have lumps forming on my arms. When I got up, I saw spots of blood on the pillow and black dots. I looked closer and I actually saw a bug on the pillow.

'I

Ivy League student who refuses to work for Jewish people bizarrely moans about cell tower as he posts unhinged white supremacist screed

Ivy League student who refuses to work for Jewish people bizarrely moans about cell tower as he posts unhinged white supremacist screed

An anti-Semitic Cornell student who told a prospective employer he was 'Not interested in working for a Jew' recently posted a bizarre rant about 5G cell service, as well as a rambling white supremacist Substack article. 

Austin Franco, 19, incited fury online after he turned down an interview at a tech start-up over the founder's Jewish faith. 

Gabe Einhorn, the 24-year-old chief executive of anti-fraud platform VryfID, shared the message he received from Franco on the college career platform Handshake. 

A screenshot of Franco's comment, which Einhorn posted on X, read: 'Not interested in working for a Jew. Thanks.' Amid outrage over his remarks, Franco has doubled down and refused to apologize or walk back his stance.  

The student's horrified parents evicted him from their $1.75 million Virginia home on August 1, with his mother, Diana, telling the New York Post: 'We have seen our adult son fall under the influence of extremist online content.'

On August 2, after raising tens of thousands of dollars from sympathetic antisemites and moving into an apartment in Ithaca, New York, Franco posted

Is there anything 'Foxy Knoxy' won't do for attention - or money? Amanda Knox's one-woman Edinburgh fringe comedy show reopens old wounds for Meredith Kercher's family

Is there anything 'Foxy Knoxy' won't do for attention - or money? Amanda Knox's one-woman Edinburgh fringe comedy show reopens old wounds for Meredith Kercher's family

The stage has been styled to look like a child's bedroom. Toys are scattered across the floor, picture books lie abandoned and a wicker laundry basket overflows with tiny jumpers and socks.

It could be any young family's home and the apparently perfect backdrop to a one-woman show billed, in part, as an intimate portrait of motherhood.

The child herself - four years old, the audience learns - is unseen. Instead, her sweet and high-pitched voice occasionally punctuates the hour-long performance, drifting across the theatre through speakers.

Why doesn't her Elsa dress fit any more, she asks? Why did her baby brother bite her? And can she have spaghetti for dinner?

To that last question, at least, the performer - a 39-year-old brunette - has an answer.

'No can do, kiddo,' she replies. 'Mama has post-traumatic spaghetti disorder.'

It is a line that prompts laughter from the show's small audience.

Then again, as Amanda Knox declared ahead of the Edinburgh Fringe premiere of her stand-up show Cartwheel, the production is intended largely as a comedy. 'It's 70 per cent comedy, 30 per cent rage,' she told one interviewer. That's one way of describing it.

Musician, 45, whose band supported The Wombats dies after being hit by tractor

Musician, 45, whose band supported The Wombats dies after being hit by tractor

A musician whose band supported The Wombats has died after being hit by a tractor.

Nathan Smith died in hospital after the crash on Shelton New Road, in Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent, on Wednesday. 

Police, paramedics and an air ambulance raced to the scene at 8.20am that morning. 

The 45-year-old pedestrian was taken to hospital in a critical condition and died a short time later.

Staffordshire Police said the tractor driver remained at the scene to help the police with their enquiries.

Nathan, of Hartshill, ran a recording studio alongside playing in several bands including MFK, which played with The Wombats at Trentham Gardens.

In a statement, his family said: 'Nathan was a self-taught electric bass player, who played in various Stoke bands and ran the UTC recording studio in Longton with his friend and fellow Big Cash Prizes band member, Tom Bath.

'He was supremely talented and in recent years enjoyed success with a new Stoke band MFK, culminating in supporting The Wombats at Trentham Gardens.

'Nathan was so much more though. A wonderful son, grandson and an incredible father.

Nathan Smith (pictured) died in hospital after                <div class=

Southern elementary school erupts as parents bitterly divided over new transgender teacher... with furious families clashing over claims children are 'too young' for a 'biological male in a dress'

Southern elementary school erupts as parents bitterly divided over new transgender teacher... with furious families clashing over claims children are 'too young' for a 'biological male in a dress'

A North Carolina elementary school is facing backlash after parents discovered a transgender music teacher was educating students while wearing a dress, causing a bitter divide. 

Middle Creek Elementary School in Apex, near Raleigh, went back to school on July 30, where students were met with a new music teacher, who is a 'transgender biological male, who dresses as a woman,' State Representative Erin Paré said in a statement. 

At a school board meeting on Tuesday, many parents said they were unaware of the new hire, with many finding out via social media, after popular creators, such as Libs of TikTok, posted about the teacher. 

The news bitterly divided parents over whether or not the educator should be allowed to wear clothing items, such as dresses and skirts, during school hours. 

Paré is also calling for a mandatory dress code for public school teachers, which would include 'requiring gender-appropriate professional attire,' she said. 

However, the Wake County School Board said implementing a new dress code would be unconstitutional and discriminatory. 

'Enforcing gender-differentiated clothing requirements based on traditional gender roles constitutes impermissible sex

Taxpayers to foot eye-watering £170m bill to fix SNP hospital hit by UK's worst infections scandal

Taxpayers to foot eye-watering £170m bill to fix SNP hospital hit by UK's worst infections scandal

Vital repairs to Scotland's scandal-hit flagship hospital are set to cost taxpayers an eye-watering £170million.

The Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) – where police are investigating the deaths of three children and four adults who contracted infections – faces the huge bill to fix serious faults in the £1billion building.

It comes after NHS bosses finally admitted that contaminated water at the NHS hospital was likely linked to serious infections in young cancer patients – after denying any connection for six years.

Flaws have also been highlighted with the Glasgow hospital's ventilation system, particularly in areas which accommodate patients with very low immune systems.

Since the infections scandal broke, politicians and campaigners have claimed the building is still unsafe and have called for major improvements.

Now The Mail on Sunday can reveal that £120million worth of repairs are needed at the hospital and the adjoining children's facility – on top of the £50million that has already been spent.

Demands are now being made for the Scottish Government and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) to explain exactly how the extra money

SNP's Monklands Hospital plan was 'already two years behind' when ministers scrapped it

SNP's Monklands Hospital plan was 'already two years behind' when ministers scrapped it

Plans to build a much-needed replacement for crumbling Monklands Hospital were already running two years late when they were scrapped by the SNP, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Campaigners and MSPs have now called on ministers to tell the truth about when the planned hospital will be completed, arguing there is little chance of a new facility being finished by 2031 as previously promised.

Documents obtained by the MoS also show NHS leaders' fears about the existing Monklands hospital in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, which they said 'continues to fail on a daily/weekly basis', has 'endemic' infection prevention issues and fire safety concerns.

It comes after we revealed that the SNP was told to scrap plans for a replacement hospital in Airdrie months before the Holyrood election but failed to tell the public.

Scottish Labour's health spokeswoman Dame Jackie Baillie said: 'The SNP has been lying to the public for months about the Monklands hospital - it's time for them to start telling the truth.

'We need clear and honest timescales for when the new hospital will be delivered and a cast-iron pledge from SNP ministers that

Food watchdogs found fish suppers and kebabs were not what they seemed

Food watchdogs found fish suppers and kebabs were not what they seemed

Burgers, curries and fish suppers are among a haul of products sold in Scotland that used different meat and ingredients from those advertised.

Tests carried out by safety watchdogs uncovered a vast array of dishes and drinks that didn't match up to their labels.

Among the infractions were incidents of booze that didn't have enough alcohol, sausages sold with as much as five times more fat than advertised, and takeaways that didn't match up to the menu.

Watchdogs found what should have been lamb curries and kebabs were actually made with beef, pork or chicken, as well as battered haddock that turned out to be whiting.

Most of the incidents did not involve deliberate fraud. However, a batch of bottles of alcohol sold as 'Glen's Vodka' were found to be counterfeit and actually contained 'potentially lethal isopropyl alcohol'.

Three premises were reported to prosecutors in Scotland following the discoveries.

The details – obtained from councils as well as government agency Food Standards Scotland (FSS) – show instances of substitution, adulteration and mislabelling between April 2024 and March 2026.

However, the names of the premises, or even the type of business operated there,

Sturgeon's Edinburgh cringe show... she swears in front of audience (and admits she is hungover!)

Sturgeon's Edinburgh cringe show... she swears in front of audience (and admits she is hungover!)

Nicola Sturgeon was last night accused of going on a 'foul-mouthed rant' at the Edinburgh Fringe after she swore in front of a packed crowd – then announcing she had a hangover.

The former First Minister was being interviewed by journalist Iain Dale when she claimed a book written by one of her critics was 's***' despite admitting she hadn't read it.

She also told the 600-strong audience, who had paid £20 a ticket to see her, that she had a hangover after enjoying 'quite a night' with a friend the previous evening.

Last month the former SNP leader was famously photographed enjoying a boozy al fresco lunch with lawyer friend Claire Mitchell at a luxury bistro in Notting Hill, London.

Within minutes of yesterday's event starting at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, Ms Sturgeon told the crowd she was 'a bit tired' after having a night out.

Nicola Sturgeon swore in front of the packed audience at the Edinburgh Fringe, then admitted she was feeling hungover

Alan Carr plans antique shopping trip to furnish his castle as he jokes he can't put a futon in the turrets

Alan Carr plans antique shopping trip to furnish his castle as he jokes he can't put a futon in the turrets

Alan Carr is planning to go 'antique shopping' to furnish his £3.3 million castle in Scotland – weeks after flogging a haul of furniture from the stately pile.

The Celebrity Traitors winner snapped up 17-bedroom Ayton Castle in Berwickshire earlier this year.

And last month he auctioned off hundreds of items that came with the property, including beds, wardrobes, side tables and other furniture.

However, while those items might not have been to his taste, the chat show host said he plans to buy similarly aged pieces to furnish his home.

In a discussion on his Life's a Beach podcast with fellow comedian Sally Phillips, who starred in sketch show Smack the Pony, Carr said: 'Listen, I've got space, I've got room and everything. But, you know, when you buy a castle, no one has any sympathy for you.

'I say, the electricity bill, the gas bill. No one cares. Like, don't buy a castle then.'

He added: 'I have to fill it because all I've got is bits from Ikea. So, I do need to go antique shopping. It looks weird having a futon in one

Police launch investigation as woman, 60, is found dead at her home and officers arrest 61-year-old man

Police launch investigation as woman, 60, is found dead at her home and officers arrest 61-year-old man

A 61-year-old man has been arrested after the body of a missing woman was found in a house in Croydon.

Nicole Beling, 60, was reported missing by a family member at around 12.05am on Friday, July 17. She was graded a high-risk missing person.

Officers searched her home and found her body. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Her family is being supported by specialist officers. 

A 61-year-old man was arrested at the scene the same day on suspicion of murder and later released under investigation.

He was further arrested on Saturday, August 1, and has been bailed while enquiries continue.

Nicole Beling, 60, was reported missing by a family member at around 12.05am on Friday, July 17

Nicole Beling, 60, was reported missing by a family member at around 12.05am on Friday, July 17

She was found dead at her home in Croydon after she was reported missing

She was found dead at her home in Croydon after she was reported missing

The Metropolitan

Image