All Section

Mon, Aug 17, 2026

A - E

James O'Brien says he feels 'like a mug' for defending 'plagiarism' professor Jason Arday

James O'Brien says he feels 'like a mug' for defending 'plagiarism' professor Jason Arday

James O'Brien has said he feels 'like a mug' for defending the Cambridge University professor accused of plagiarism and fabrication.

The LBC presenter, who previously accused newspapers of 'studied and deliberate ignominy' over reporting of Jason Arday, said he had a 'very, very personal' reaction to the professor's resignation on Wednesday.

But Mr O'Brien also said he did not 'feel guilt' and suggested that only a racist would have doubted Mr Arday's credibility as a Cambridge professor of sociology of education.

The professor, who had been the university's youngest black incumbent, resigned this week after Cambridge began an investigation into allegations of plagiarism.

He said the storm surrounding his claims had come at a 'personal cost'.

'What's your takeaway here?' Mr O'Brien asked listeners on Friday.

'Because mine is very, very personal. I can't separate the personal from the public. I feel like a mug, actually, is the short answer.'

But he added: 'I don't feel guilt. I don't feel, "Oh, you should have done differently or you should have done better" because, who would?

James

Thieves steal 70 Volkswagen badges in four-day south London spree 'after using drones to scope out their victims'

Thieves steal 70 Volkswagen badges in four-day south London spree 'after using drones to scope out their victims'

Thieves stole 70 Volkswagen badges in a four-day south London spree after apparently using drones to 'scope out' their victims. 

Video doorbell and CCTV footage captured the thieves stealing the sensors kept behind the VW emblem on the bonnet.

Victims were led to believe the thieves were assessing their vehicles after seeing and hearing drones in the area in the days leading up to the thefts.

The thieves harvested between 70 and 100 Volkswagen front badges and radar sensors across 29 roads in southeast London over four days (July 15-19). 

Perpetrators on Lime bikes executed the thefts in under five seconds per car.  

The stolen parts, used for Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), cost around £2,000 to replace.

Victims and local officials, including Southwark Mayor Claire Sheppard, criticised Volkswagen, calling the placement behind the emblem a 'design flaw'. 

They argued that VW should cover 100 per cent of the replacement costs and retrofit affected vehicles. 

Thieves harvested between 70 Volkswagen front badges and radar sensors across 29 roads in southeast London over a four-day period

Thieves harvested between 70 Volkswagen front badges and radar

Chaos continues at UK airport as runway defect sees flights cancelled or diverted with homecoming Brits forced to land hundreds of miles from home

Chaos continues at UK airport as runway defect sees flights cancelled or diverted with homecoming Brits forced to land hundreds of miles from home

A runway defect at Bristol Airport has caused travel chaos as flights are cancelled or diverted hundreds of miles away.

Hundreds of passengers were stranded on Friday night as the airport was forced to close - with dozens of people waiting in crowds at their departure gates.

Although flights did resume at 8am this morning, the airport warned that disruption would continue throughout Saturday.

Many holidaymakers were left with long and expensive journeys home after their planes were diverted to different airports across the country.

Dave Blackwell, who was travelling from Rhodes, found himself 246 miles away from Bristol after his plane landed in Newcastle.

'We were in Rhodes Airport for three hours with no information. Now we have all been told our flight is going to Newcastle and then a five or six-hour bus ride - why Newcastle? How appalling,' he told BBC News.

Other flights were diverted to Bournemouth, Birmingham and Cardiff.

Last night, passengers reported that there was little communication from the airport with no announcements on the tannoy system for over an hour.

EasyJet were said to be the only representatives

NHS Trust bosses tell transgender staff they can still use women-only toilets despite Supreme Court ruling on single-sex spaces

NHS Trust bosses tell transgender staff they can still use women-only toilets despite Supreme Court ruling on single-sex spaces

Women working at a major NHS Trust say they feel 'intimidated' after its leaders told trans staff they can still use women's toilets and facilities.

In spite of clear guidance on single sex spaces which came into force on Wednesday, the Midlands Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT), which serves 1.7 million people and employs over 10,500 staff, said there would 'no immediate changes' to its policies.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)'s new code of practice, which reinforces the landmark Supreme Court ruling that sex in equality law means biological sex not gender identity, rules that organisations must provide single sex spaces reflecting that.

It says that only providing mixed sex facilities could amount to direct or indirect discrimination against women or lead to unlawful harassment.

But in an email to staff when the ruling finally came into force 18 months after the Supreme Court judgment, the Trust, which covers a geographic area of 2400 square miles and provides nationwide services, instead reassured trans staff it 'stood by them' while failing to mention female staff.

It means trans staff can

Two more private schools forced to close blame Labour's VAT raid - leaving 'heartbroken' parents struggling to find places elsewhere

Two more private schools forced to close blame Labour's VAT raid - leaving 'heartbroken' parents struggling to find places elsewhere

Two historic private schools have blamed Labour's VAT tax raid after both were forced to close their doors.

Avon House School in Essex and Sompting Abbots Prep School in West Sussex have both announced they will not reopen in September.

It comes as 30,000 fewer pupils are now enrolled in private schools across the country since Labour came into power – with 20,000 leaving in the past year.

Labour originally said the sector would shrink by only 37,000 pupils in the long run as a result of the policy – but this may now prove an underestimate.

The Avon House School has closed after more than 100 years in operation.

A spokesman for the Prep School also said the rise in National Insurance and pension costs had led to the closure.

In a similar statement, the principal of Sompting Abbots additionally blamed the general economic climate.

The abrupt closure of both schools has led to parents struggling to find places for their children in the respective areas.

The historic Sompting Abbotts has been educating pupils since George V was on the throne

The never-before-seen pictures of Liam Payne's last hours: Haunted and prowling a Buenos Aires hotel, begging call girls to help him make crack, the Mail shares the startling revelations inside explosive police files

The never-before-seen pictures of Liam Payne's last hours: Haunted and prowling a Buenos Aires hotel, begging call girls to help him make crack, the Mail shares the startling revelations inside explosive police files

He was a pop superstar adored by millions, a devoted son and father, a man who had amassed a fortune of £22million and appeared to have the world at his feet.

Yet in the final days of his life, former One Direction singer Liam Payne was in the grip of a devastating spiral of drug and alcohol abuse, paying sex workers to keep him company in a soulless hotel room while bingeing on crack cocaine and whisky.

While much has been written about Liam's death, the full heartbreaking facts have not been revealed – until now.

Today, The Mail on Sunday can disclose details of the singer's death from an extraordinary trove of 3,000 documents, photographs, sworn statements and official reports gathered by investigators after he died in Buenos Aires on October 16, 2024.

One haunting CCTV image shows him hollow-eyed and gaunt, stumbling through the corridors of the CasaSur Hotel just one hour before he plunged from the balcony of Room 310.

The report also lays bare his family's despair, with a sworn statement from Liam's grief-stricken father Geoff telling prosecutors

'Al Fayed told me he'd be my father figure...I was vulnerable and he seized his chance to sexually abuse me'

'Al Fayed told me he'd be my father figure...I was vulnerable and he seized his chance to sexually abuse me'

A woman employed by billionaire Mohamed Al Fayed at his 'castle of horrors' Scottish estate has spoken for the first time about how she was sexually assaulted by the former Harrods tycoon.

The middle-aged mother, who we have named Katie, broke her silence about the ordeal she suffered at his hands – and said that she believed she was targeted because of her vulnerable background.

Katie – the first woman who worked at Balnagown Castle in Ross-shire to come forward – said her horrific experiences have haunted her for the past three decades.

Her testimony comes just weeks after The Scottish Mail on Sunday revealed that Police Scotland has reopened a probe into assault allegations first reported in 2021.

Katie now hopes her experience will help other women, particularly those in Scotland, to have the courage to speak out. She has also backed calls for a public inquiry into the scandal.

Mother-of-one Katie grew up in a Highlands village half an hour from Balnagown. Her upbringing was far from idyllic. She had spent time in care and had to support herself from a young age.

At 18 she was working in a local pub where members of

Patients dialling 999 in a heatwave could have to wait for temperatures to drop before an ambulance arrives under union plans to stop crews working in hot weather

Patients dialling 999 in a heatwave could have to wait for temperatures to drop before an ambulance arrives under union plans to stop crews working in hot weather

Patients dialling 999 in a heatwave could have to wait for temperatures to drop before an ambulance arrives under union plans to stop crews working in hot weather.

Unison says many emergency workers are expected to work in conditions 'harmful to their health' and wants NHS trusts to do more to protect members during increasingly hot summers.

Paramedics have told of being sent out in ambulances in 'stifling heat' with faulty or no air conditioning and often with limited access to drinking water or toilets.

This has occurred during shifts where staff have queued for hours outside hospitals to hand over patients, 'often in temperatures exceeding 30C'.

Ambulance workers also describe being 'physically and mentally exhausted' as they spend hours treating patients in care and private homes affected by 'unbearable' heat.

Others are required to work for 'prolonged periods in the glare of direct sunlight at road traffic collisions and other major incidents, wearing heavy uniforms that aren't designed for hot weather', Unison added.

It acknowledges elderly patients in particular are also suffering dehydration and heat-related illnesses as temperatures soar.

But it today issued a list of demands for NHS bosses that

New footage appears to show more 'human safari' Russian drones targeting citizens: Ukrainian is chased as he runs for cover and another drone explodes as man tries to hide

New footage appears to show more 'human safari' Russian drones targeting citizens: Ukrainian is chased as he runs for cover and another drone explodes as man tries to hide

New footage appears to show more evidence of Russian 'human safari' drone attacks in Ukraine. 

Several  Ukrainian bloggers and political figures have been sharing the video on social media, claiming the footage shows another attack in Sumy.

It comes after a Russian human safari kamikaze drone was used to chase a Ukrainian fruit seller earlier this week. 

The new video appears to show how Russian FPV drones flew into the northeastern city of Sumy and began hunting civilians. 

In the footage, one drone deliberately pursues a man around a corner before exploding near him. 

Meanwhile, a second drone scores a direct hit on a second civilian, who could be seen trying to take cover. 

The scenes were condemned by former deputy minister at the Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Anton Gerashchenko, who said in an X post: 'A Russian FPV drone deliberately attacks a civilian person in the street. Russian human safari is spreading. Russia's war crimes are mounting up.' 

The video is one of the latest examples of Russia's 'human safari' campaign, which involves the deployment of remotely operated drones against civilians in an attempt by

Big win for sacked Qantas workers as Federal Court judge slams compensation payout delays

Big win for sacked Qantas workers as Federal Court judge slams compensation payout delays

Unlawfully sacked Qantas workers will finally share in a $40million payout, with a judge 'drawing a line in the sand' on persistent delays while criticising the compensation administrator for a lack of transparency.

The Australian airline outsourced 1820 baggage-handling, cleaning and ground staff roles during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, a move the Federal Court ruled was designed to curb union bargaining power in wage negotiations.

Justice Michael Lee in December ordered the company to pay the largest employer fine in the nation's industrial history due to the 'sheer scale' of contraventions.

Of the $9million penalty, $50million has already been paid to the Transport Workers' Union for highlighting and prosecuting the illegal conduct.

Justice Lee on Thursday ordered that the roughly $38million remaining, which had been sitting in the court's coffers as the compensation scheme was being nutted out, be paid to impacted workers imminently.

'I should draw a line in the sand from today,' he said as he ordered the payment be 'decoupled' from the wider compensation scheme.

'It is simply unfair to make those who have done all they reasonably can do to engage with

Confronting scenes as a man is stabbed outside a Lalor Park barber shop in broad daylight - sparking a riot squad operation

Confronting scenes as a man is stabbed outside a Lalor Park barber shop in broad daylight - sparking a riot squad operation

A man has been charged after he allegedly stabbed another man in the neck in front of shocked bystanders over an apparent neighbour dispute in western Sydney.

Emergency services were called to a shopping centre on Commercial Road in Lalor Park about 11.15am on Thursday following reports of a stabbing.

Confronting CCTV showed the pair swatting and kicking each other before one man pulled out a kitchen knife and stabbed the other in the neck.

The victim was heard screaming in pain and stumbled as he tried to remain steady on his feet. 

Bystanders rushed to help the injured man and ushered him to safety into a nearby barber shop as the alleged attacker fled the scene.

The 53-year-old victim was treated for multiple stab wounds to his back before he was rushed to Westmead Hospital in a serious condition.  

Police established a crime scene outside the shops and launched a manhunt for the alleged attacker, who was tracked down to a nearby unit block across the road.

Riot squad officers attempted to negotiate with the man, 38, but were forced to break in.

Historic market town plunged into two nights of violence as angry protesters storm three properties 'housing asylum seekers'

Historic market town plunged into two nights of violence as angry protesters storm three properties 'housing asylum seekers'

A market town has been engulfed by violence and disorder on two nights this week after angry residents stormed houses rumoured to be used by asylum seekers.

Frustration exploded into fury at three properties on Tuesday in Thetford, Norfolk, following weeks of protests at a nearby former military barracks which has already been earmarked to take 1,250 male migrants.

It continued last night, when two officers needed hospital treatment – one who was hit by a rock and another who was 'seriously bitten' during another protest. Three arrests have been made.

A Government spokesman said the 'concerns of communities are central to our immigration reforms'.

The chaos on the first night saw five men having to be escorted by police from a property on St John's Way, prompting the furious protesters to brand the officers 'traitors'.

One local claimed the landlord had told them to expect new tenants but didn't mention they would be asylum seekers.

The occupant of a house in nearby Elm Road is then understood to have been forced out of his home before his phone was stolen.

The disorder next spilled over to a residence in Bracken Road, which had its windows and

Image